Saturday, December 27, 2008

I worry . . .

. . . about everything. Most of the time I am able to keep it in check and not obsess too much. My father might say I don't worry enough. And there are those who won't believe a word I just typed.
Since I've had children, I've made a conscious choice to try to worry less, assume the best, and attempt to live with a "glass half full" attitude. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. (Have I mentioned - I'm melancholy?)
I digress.
Lately, I've been worrying that my 'mini-me' will turn out exactly like me. This, in my opinion, would be horrible for her. I want my Kiddo to be better. Given that I am acutely aware that I am no longer the only significant influence in her life, I find myself continually assessing her behavior, language, and attitude. What is the result of lack of sleep or balance? What is becoming a bad habit? Did she pick that up from friends at school? Is that bad behavior becoming a habit? So many things to think about (yes, worry about) and try to train before I run out of time.
So, under Hubby's wise counsel, I have been trying to simply take a breath and enjoy who she is and what she needs without being the "witchy" reactive boss I can sometimes be.
This vacation has been great for that! The more time I spend observing her and actually recognizing her for who God created her to be, the more amazed I am. I have always enjoyed her and every stage she has grown through, but I must admit that I am particularly partial to this time in her life. She is becoming a sweet, compassionate, wise young lady. As she tries to assert her independence (sometimes inappropriately) I worry or get offended, but as I take a breath and see her, really see her, I find myself proud of who she is becoming.
I am not foolish enough to believe that who she is because of her genes or because of what we have done as parents. Rather, I know that everything plays into who God is creating her to be and what He wants her to do. It's really quite mind-blowing!
A few nights ago, Hubby and Kiddo watched some America's Funniest Home-videos after Baby Boy had gone to sleep and I was puttering around the house. It was cute to hear her laugh and share these special moments with her dad. At one point, I was summoned to see the little boy throwing a tantrum because he got clothes for Christmas. Wow~!
Sure enough, on Christmas morning, my children got clothes for Christmas. Clothes they need and their mommy really wants. A tremendous blessing from grandparents who truly desire the best for their grandkids. And, each of the kids will get more clothes when we have our New Year's Christmas with my family.
Kiddo opened her box and gasped . . . "clothes, I really wanted beautiful clothes for Christmas!" And my heart leaped for joy. It seems so simple really, to be able to appreciate a gift. We take it forgranted that our children know they are fortunate to have what they do. And then, a pure joy response to something that could be viewed as mundane and I realize that somewhere she has gotten the true meaning of Christmas, giving, and being grateful.
For sure, I have to worry less about my Kiddo being a well-adjusted, lover of God, when I see moments like this. Thanks be to God for my Christmas blessing this year - a glimpse of who He seems my child being.
Moral of the Story - the worrying about God-sized problems is best left to . . . God!

2 comments:

Lissette said...

How cute! I am glad that she loved her clothes! Thankful little girl!

MissKate said...

OH 'Neen, that's beautiful. Such a blessing she's become, and becoming. :D