Saturday, December 20, 2008

Week of the Whirlwind!

So, my week, as I imagine yours was as well, was a whirlwind. I have no idea where the time went. I know I was busy all the time.
I preached today - about the angels and Jesus' birth. I agree with my mom that I should have had a Women's Chorus to sing "Glory to God in the Highest" at the appropriate time. Other than that, I think it turned out alright.
The service was the kind I like - a little bit of everything nice without a whole lot of wading or slogging through difficult/boring stuff. But the definite highlight of the whole morning was the Christmas Connection at the end of the service. People from the congregation poured onto the platform to pick up a name, address, and box of food to deliver to a needy family in our area. It was astonishing! I've been involved with this project in some capacity for the last 3 years and saw families participating for the first time this year that have never participated in the past. New people helped pack the boxes. Totally different people picked up boxes to take to families. Devo's idea of really involving the congregation was GOLD!
I was struck that this really is the way we get to experience real Christmas - when we reach out.
I've had the Veggietales song, "There must be more to Christmas" stuck in my head all week as I prepared my sermon. I chose not to include it as part of my sermon, but watching our congregation respond really showed that at least at LSUC, there is more to Christmas. It was really fabulous to be part of this community of faith.

5 comments:

Lissette said...

Yes, it was a wonderful Sabbath! And Devo's idea was fantastic!

Leilani said...

I really enjoyed the service, too. INcluding gazing at the glowing, beautiful preacher. Congrats again on getting Daniel to sleep BEFORE getting up to preach. You rock.

You also inspired Devo to follow your example and keep the sermon short next week. It's been awhile since he's spent a whole sermon with small children. :)

The Children's story was pretty cool, too.

Janeen said...

I agree, the story was pretty cool. I like short sermons, besides church isn't REALLY for sleeping unless you're under 2. :)

What would I do without friends like you and Lissette?

MissKate said...

sounds like it was a fabulous sabbath :) wish I could have been there.

Janeen said...

It would have been nice to have you there, K!